Maharashtra hospital fire: Staff were asleep when blaze started, say victims’ kin

 Maharashtra hospital fire: Staff were asleep when blaze started, say victims’ kin

Share this article !

Thirteen COVID-19 patients died in the fire at the intensive care unit (ICU) ward located on the second floor of the four-storeyed Vijay Vallabh Hospital at Virar in the early hours of Friday

MUMBAI

Relatives of some of the victims, who died in a fire at a hospital in Maharashtra’s Palghar district early on Friday, alleged that the staffers of the facility were asleep when the blaze broke out and there was nobody to help the patients come out of the ICU.

They also alleged that the hospital did not fulfil the basic fire safety requirements.

Thirteen COVID-19 patients died in the fire at the intensive care unit (ICU) ward located on the second floor of the four-storeyed Vijay Vallabh Hospital at Virar in the early hours of Friday.

After the incident, angry and distraught family members of the patients gathered outside the hospital.

“All this is hospital administration’s mistake. Its staff members were asleep when the fire broke out. There was not a single employee inside the ICU to help the patients come out,” a relative of one of the deceased alleged.

The hospital does not have basic fire safety equipment, like sufficient number of fire extinguishers, a family member of another patient said.

“Then why did they start the hospital at all?” he asked. A woman, who is a doctor by profession, lost her mother in the blaze.

TND

Share this article !

0 Reviews

Related post